Woman SRSLY champions unique and challenging performance through platforms and networking support and aims to create a safe space for artists to share their ideas and experiences. They are launching an open call for proposals for their next platform at The Yard Theatre on Thursday 3rd October. Applications are open to any artist experiencing disadvantage due to the performing arts sector’s bias towards cis-male-led work. This includes; trans men, trans women, non-binary & gender queer artists, as well as cis-female artists.
They’re looking for shows which:
- Have a strong visual and/ or conceptual element
- Are innovative and experimental in form
- Come under the banner of dance, music, theatre, film, cabaret, live art or interdisciplinary work. They are particularly interested in work, which is under represented in a traditional theatre setting
- Are made by cis-female/ genderqueer/ trans/ non-binary artists (work will be accepted which includes cis-male performers).
- Are finished, a work-in-progress or have room for development
- Are between 10-20 mins in length
- Can be performed with a basic technical setup and performed on the concrete stage floor at The Yard (technical specs available on request)
- Are made by artists who are eligible to work in the UK
- Artists must be aged 18 and above
- Artists must be available all day on the 3rd Oct to attend a day time tech slot
They particularly wish to hear from people with disabilities, people of colour, people from financially disadvantaged backgrounds, older people and people from any other marginalised background or identity.
As well as an opportunity for artists to share their work, Woman SRSLY are offering:
- £200 performance fee per company/ or artist
- Marketing and PR support for the event
- A profile on the artists page on their website
- Technical support and technical rehearsal
- A high-quality film of the performance and images
- Access to additional monetary support for people with access needs including; people with disabilities and childcare costs for the event.
Womxn SRSLY applicants can apply for additional support for the platform by opting into the Womxn SRSLY mentoring strand on the application form. One artist from each platform is selected for the mentoring strand. In addition to the above, the mentoring strand artist will receive mentoring to develop their work for the platform as well as free rehearsal space. The mentoring strand is for artists who can demonstrate a need for mentorship support, including; students, artists who may not have formal qualifications, people who have become artists in later life, or those whose practices may have been overlooked.
How to apply
Applications will be accepted by application form only.
The deadline for applications is the 19th of August 2019.
Applicants will be notified by the 27th August 2019.
To apply, please read the application guidance and then fill out the online application form found here.
Womxn SRSLY is supported by Arts Council England, The Place, Dance Research Studio, Lucy and Yak, Muxima, Wac Arts, The Yard and Chisenhale Dance Space.